Just like most of the Tri-Valley, San Ramon had its beginnings as a ranching and agricultural area, with rolling oak studded hills and spectacular valleys. It was settled in the late 1700’s, but it was the gold rush period that really put San Ramon on the map, thanks to a stage coach line that ran from the valley to Oakland. The Southern Pacific Railroad came to the valley in 1891, along what is now the iron horse trail.
Until the mid-1960s, San Ramon remained predominantly an agricultural and ranching hub, and then the completion of Interstate 680, connecting San Jose with Walnut Creek, resulted in suburban development.
One of the notable early settlers, Thomas Bishop, acquired 3000 acres of land in San Ramon. In 1978, this became Bishop Ranch, encompassing Bishop Ranch Business Park, home to Chevron Corporation, AT & T, Toyota, and U.P.S. to name a few. It was the development of Bishop Ranch that really shaped San Ramon, as large corporations moved operations from the more expensive San Francisco and Oakland marketplaces to the wide open spaces of San Ramon, bringing with them thousands of well paid employees. In 1983, the city finally incorporated, and officially became the city of San Ramon.